What's Happened: 4 Highlights
- Thank you to all those who participated in JFAR's community Yom Hashoah commemoration last night: Rabbis Block, Ciment, and Winnick, who led the service, David Bauman, who provided music, and Matthew Lopas, who presented on his family's experience in the Holocaust. Thanks as well to all who attended to help us honor the memory of those who perished in the Holocaust.
- JFAR's 2016-17 Arkansas Grant Application cycle is now closed, and our Grant Committee is beginning to review applications and evaluations. We received a total of 14 applications with requests totaling $53,710.51. Thanks to all who applied. You will be notified of award decisions at the beginning of July.
- Thanks to the Jewish Food and Cultural Festival leadership team and all the booth chairs for attending Monday's Festival review and providing extensive and helpful comments and written summaries. Click here to see the summary of the online Festival survey that was shared with everyone on Monday. Since the report on Monday, a few additional invoices have come in, which means the Food Festival netted a little over $16,000, $1000 of which was collected in tickets from the Tzedakah boxes and will be divided among our community partner organizations Arkansas Foodbank, Harmony Clinic, Just Communities of Arkansas, LifeQuest, and Our House. I will be sharing all of this information soon via a community-wide e-mail. In the meantime, one more great number to share: thanks to your donations, the Arkansas Foodbank collected over 600 pounds of food at the Festival--enough food to provide over 500 meals!
- Speaking of Grant Requests, per a vote by the board, JFAR is pleased to be able to offer a special additional grant this year to help support the new Director of Education and Youth Engagement position at Congregation B'nai Israel, which will be filled by Eileen Hamilton.
What's Happening: 4 Highlights
- Lots of Jewish Community Mazal Tovs. First, to Rabbi Barry Block for receiving an honorary Doctor of Divinity degree from Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion on Wednesday. Second, to Judge Audrey Evans and Justice Annabelle Imber Tuck, who will be honored for outstanding alumni achievement at UALR William H. Bowen School of Law's Celebration of its 40th Anniversary tomorrow evening.
- Thank you to those JFAR Board Members who are making calls/vists for our 2016 Annual Campaign. A reminder please to complete those calls by May 15th.
- Please join us next week to celebrate Yom HaAtzmaut/Israel Independence Day, in partnership with Congregation Agudath Achim, Congregation B'nai Israel and Lubavitch of Arkansas and chaired by volunteers Emma Figarsky and Valerie Steinberg: Thursday, May 12th, 6:00 pm, at Congregation Agudath Achim. Click here to RSVP.
- The date for JFAR's Board Retreat for voting members of the board has been set for Sunday, August 28th, location TBD. Silvana Berlinski and the Board Development Committee will now start planning in earnest. If you are a voting board member who received a call from a Board Development Committee member about the retreat and have not yet responded, please let Silvana know asap whether you can attend on the 28th.
What's Going to Happen: 4 Highlights
- May 7th: Evan Levine Bar Mitzvah, Etz Chaim
- May 9th: JFAR Caregiver Support Group (at the home of Doris and Mark Krain)
- May 11th: Yom Hazikaron (Israeli Memorial Day)
- May 12th: Yom HaAtzmaut Celebration