What's Happened: 4 Highlights
- Mazal Tov to our social worker Cindy Brown for receiving a grant for $10,000 in free ads from Google to promote JFAR's website online. We will let you know when the ads are set to start appearing.
- Jane B. Mendel Tikkun Olam Award nomination requests have just gone out to all the Jewish congregations and organizations in Arkansas. A reminder please to let us know by June 30th who your award winner is and to fill out the form I sent, so we can get started on your winner's biography for our program. Thanks to Polly's work, you can also now fill out the Tikkun Olam nomination form online on our website. If you are the President/Director of Jewish congregation/organization and you didn't see a nomination request from me, please let me know.
- Thank you to JFAR's Grant Committee for spending so much time carefully reading, reviewing, and discussing all of our 2016-17 Arkansas Grant Allocations. The Grant Committee had a very productive meeting last week. Their recommendations have now gone to the Budget and Finance Committee, which will incorporatethose recommendations as part of next year's budget.
- A belated thank you to Mushka and Yosef Kramer for hosting a great young professionals Lag B'omer barbeque last Wednesday (complete with personalized beer koozies). JFAR was pleased to be able to partner with Chabad Young Professionals for the event.
What's Happening: 4 Highlights
- Please join me in welcoming Temple Shalom's new Co-Presidents Stanley Rest and Sivan Tuchman to the JFAR Board as ex-officio members. Please join me as well in thanking outgoing Presidents Jeremy Hess and Darla Newman for their service.
- It's budget time at JFAR! Our new fiscal year begins on July 1st and for our new year, we need a new budget. Thanks to our Treasurer Sarah Mendel Johnson, who is working hard to get ready. The entire Budget and Finance Committee will meet soon to work on the draft of the budget that will be presented to the JFAR Board at its June 27 meeting for approval.
- Cindy Brown will be presenting today at UALR's Midsouth Summer Conference for Integrated Behavioral Health Studies. Her talk on "Moving from Stigma to Self Advocacy" takes place from 12:15-1:15 pm in Meetings Rooms A-C at the Donaghey Student Center on the UALR campus.
- I will be attending the closing ceremony tomorrow, led by Rabbi Gene Levy, for Temple Anshe Emeth in Pine Bluff. In case you missed it, here is a link to the article that appeared in the paper on the closings of Temple Anshe Emeth and of Temple Meir Chayim in McGehee.
What's Going to Happen: 4 Highlights
- June 12th-13th: Shavuot (JFAR office closed Monday, June 13th)
- June 14th: Congregation House of Israel Yiddish Class
June 11th: JLI Course "Strength and Struggle" continues