What's Happened: 4 Highlights
- As the JFAR Board Members now know, Polly Greenbaum is leaving her position at JFAR to be able to spend more time being (vs working) in the Jewish community that is so important to her. She has generously agreed to stay until the end of September if necessary, but our search for her replacement is beginning immediately. Look for the release of a position description soon and please forward it to anyone you think might be qualified and interested. In the meantime, please join me in thanking Polly for her incredible work for JFAR and the Jewish community.
- Mazel Tov to Dr. Mark Krain, JFAR Caregiving and Aging Committee Member (and one of JFAR's Jane B. Mendel Tikkun Olam Award winners this year): an anonymous donor has funded an endowed scholarship in Dr. Krain's name for social work students at UALR. Click here to read more.
- Invitations for JFAR's upcoming Tikkun Olam Awards celebration on Sunday, September 25th will be in the mail soon. But if you want to get a jump on purchasing tickets and sponsorships, you can now do so on our website. Click here to get started.
- I sometimes get asked, as I did yesterday, "Just what does JFAR do, anyway?" A reminder, especially to JFAR Board Members, if someone poses the same question to you, that you can find a list of what JFAR does, divided into categories based on our mission statement, here on our website. A reminder, too, that our monthly budget reports will also now reflect these mission categories.
What's Happening: 4 Highlights
- JFAR's Endowment and Investment and Governance Committees have been busy over the summer. I had a great meeting this week with Governance Chair Arleen Marshall to review Endowment and Investment-related by-law changes that will come before the board soon. The most version of the by-laws, updated to reflect all of last year's amendments, will be part of the new manuals board members get at the August 28th retreat.
- Speaking of the board retreat, in addition to all the work JFAR's Board Development Committee is doing to plan content with facilitator Debbie Stein, Senior Director of Consulting and Community Development at the Jewish Federations of North America, committee Chair Silvana Berlinski has prepared an additional item for us to have at the retreat: her homemade babka! Thanks to Silvana, the Board Development Committee, and Debbie for all their efforts.
- I've sent requests to all the Arkansas congregations and organizations to send me High Holiday service schedules and announcements by Monday, August 29th, for inclusion in the High Holiday edition of Action. Thanks in advance to everyone for helping me get the word out about everything that will be happening in Arkansas for the High Holidays and beyond.
- I had an informative and productive conversation today with Larry Brook, editor of Southern Jewish Life Magazine about working more together and continuing to increase coverage of Arkansas. In case you missed the announcement on JFAR's Facebook page, there's a lot of great Arkansas articles in SJL's most recent issue, which you can find here.
What's Going to Happen: 4 Highlights
- August 14th: Tisha B'Av
- August 21st: Nechoma Greisman Bat Mitzvah, Chabad of Northwest Arkansas
- August 26th-28th: Bluff City Bash in Memphis
- August 28th: JFAR Board Retreat at Subiaco