What Does JFAR Do?
JFAR strengthens our Jewish community, cares for Jews in need, ensures a Jewish future in Arkansas, and supports global Jewry.
Strengthening our Jewish Community
- JFAR serves as the central resource for Jewish news, events, and information across our statewide Jewish community.
- JFAR offers and supports high-quality Jewish cultural and educational programming for the entire community.
- JFAR organizes Jewish community participation in mitzvah projects for local charitable organizations.
- JFAR provides financial support to charitable organizations in and around Arkansas that make a difference in the lives of Jewish community members.
Care for Jews in Need
- JFAR’s Family Services Committee provides financial assistance in response to requests from Jewish individuals and families in need. This assistance is supported by the newly established Glenn Lowitz Memorial CASE/Family Services Fund.
- JFAR maintains a database of social services in Arkansas.
- JFAR has launched a new initiative of caregiving and aging programs and services, including a new Social Work and Program Coordinator position, which is supported by a fund, established by Steve, Susan, and Trip Strauss, in memory of their parents Shirley and Sam Strauss.
- JFAR sends special emergency funds to help victims of local, national, and international disasters and crises.
Ensure a Jewish Future in Arkansas
- JFAR provides scholarships to Jewish youth in our community to attend Jewish camp, Jewish preschool, and to study in Israel.
- JFAR provides financial assistance for young adults to attend Jewish conferences to further their leadership development and involvement in the Jewish community.
- JFAR, in partnership with the Sisterhoods of Congregations Agudath Achim and B’nai Israel, subscribes to the PJ Library Program, which provides free Jewish books and/or music monthly to 100+ Jewish children ages 6 months-8 years living in Arkansas.
- JFAR helps fund the Hillel chapter at Hendrix College and supports the Hillel Chapter and Jewish Studies at the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville.
Support Global Jewry
- JFAR brings the Israel scouts as well as visiting Shlichim (Israeli emissaries) to Arkansas to conduct programs and outreach.
- JFAR’s Thalheimer Israel Scholarship fund helps young adults in Arkansas travel to Israel for study.
- JFAR sends financial support to Israel Emergency Funds.
- JFAR sends financial support to national and international Jewish charitable organizations.